Monday, June 8, 2009

Say Cheese

What is CT scan (Computed Tomography)? It provides an accurate diagnosis of scans of internal organs, bone, soft tissue and blood vessels, also provide greater clarity and reveal more details than regular x-ray exams.

I barely slept last night. Woke up feeling extremely unhappy. How exciting can it be to take a 3D imaging of my upper torso? Said my prayers before making my way down to TTSH.

Prior to the dreadful procedure, I changed into the brown gown given to me. There was a painful prick when the needle was forced into my vein. An intravenous contrast material (colour dye) was used, I have this warm, flushed sensation during the injection of the contrast dye, and a metallic taste formed in my mouth that lasted for a few minutes.

I was lying flat on my back, then slowly and smoothly slided into the X-ray circle, special lights were used to ensure that I'm properly positioned. During the "scanning" session, I heard slight buzzing, clicking and whirring sounds as the CT scanner revolves around me. I was alone in the examination room during the CT scan, the radiologist "safely" kept out from the radiation, could however, see, hear and speak to me in the other room.

I found the procedure stressful, my heart was perpetually in my mouth, firstly I was worried sick about the result findings, and secondly I'm claustrophobic. Mine was a CT thorax (for chest), took only 5 minutes. Will only know the result findings in a couple of days, how am i gonna get through the next few days? Oh my god!

Verdict: CT scan are painless, fast and easy, but probably the need to lie still for several minutes may cause some discomfort. Expensive, cost me $517.80 just to lie on that high technology bed.

Risks:

1) The effective radiation dose from this procedure is about the same as the average person receives from background radiation in three to five years. Super tired after the procedure, must be due to the effect of the radiation.

2) There is always a slight chance of cancer from excessive exposure to radiation. Well, how irony, in the midst of determining any cancerous growth within me, and in exchange the possibility of cancer due to radiation.

No comments:

Post a Comment