Friday, June 5, 2009

Smoke gets in my eyes

Went for my medical consultation yesterday afternoon, my blood glucose level (blood sugar) increased to 9.5, which came as a shock to me, because my usual level is below 6.0. For diabetic patients, blood glucose level ranges between 9.0 to 12.0 .

But my colleague highlighted that since i had Nasi Lemak for lunch (before the check up), the coconut milk content may be the main culprit. Well, I'm praying hard. I remembered drinking Bandung prior to my last consultation, and my blood glucose level also shot above 9.0. For my next consultation on 24/06/2009, Dr Tan arranged a morning appointment, no breakfast before i see her, so that she can have an accurate reading. I do not wish to become diabetic because of my Steroid dosage *cross fingers*

Another rude shock came when her senior consultant suggested a CT scan (Computed Tomography) to re-confirm my illness has no relation to any tumor growth. At that moment, my world came crashing down! Those X-rays, MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging), Mammogram, colon and stomach scope (gastroscope) that i had taken before, doesn't show any growth. If there is "something" growing inside, there will be a further need to test whether is it benign or malignant... ... God, haven't you heard my prayers yet?

Dr Tan's consolation to me is that if it's a cancerous tumor, current medication (that I'm having now) would not have work, and if there is really any tumor presence, it would be very small because it's undetectable on X-rays. As if that helps?

The good news is my Steroid dosage will be reduced further, from 1 tablet (5MG) daily to 3 times per week. Initally i was on 60MG on 01/03/2009, and it took 3 months of gradual reduction to present stage, hopefully i can safely get rid of this poisonous medicine forever.

On my cab journey back to the office, my mind was in a mess. Finally broke down when my colleagues asked me for updates. Life is so meaningless, here i am trying hard to make a honest living, doing nobody any harm, dutifully fulfilling my social roles, and yet my faith and inner strength has been continuously put through tests. There is only so much i can bear with, at times i felt so lonely, although i know i am constantly surrounded by my family and friends who loves me, but i truly felt like a stranded fighter.

The CT scan is scheduled on this coming Monday afternoon (08/06/09). I hope this will be the last procedure, i doubt i can take anymore of such tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment