Friday, May 1, 2009

Eau de Parfum

The word "perfume" derives from "per fumum", meaning "through smoke" in Latin. In Chinese, it's call "Xiang Shui", literally translated to "fragrance water"

I like perfume, but I'm not exactly a fragrance junkie, and neither am i a fragrance abuser. Perfume is a very personal statement. It should be applied in just the right places for proper effect. I did a stock count yesterday, and I'm amazed that my collection of Eau De Parfum is larger than i expected.

This is one of my forgotten collection. "Deep Night" created by Ghost in Year 2001, it was designed in the shape of Luna, supposed to be romantic and fantastic at the same time. When i received this as a gift in Year 2002, i did not like it at all. It developed a smokey-vanilla-peachy scent on my skin. Not bad, but dusty smokey notes are not really my type, hence it remains untouched for the past 7 years.

This represents "the perfume of love". It was a gift from a guy who is 2 years my senior, whom i deliberately lost contact with him, for i cannot tolerate his lifestyle as a frequent clubber. When i open up the box yesterday (after so many years), only did i see a card inside it. Geesh! I guess my MIA answered his question after all. But honestly, i was just too absent minded and overlooked that card.

"Pretty Nina" was a birthday gift from my 2 guy friends (http://www.jayandthelostboys.blogspot.com/) last year. I love it!!! Apple-shaped perfume is one of the frequent designs adopted by Nina Ricci. It has a flowery-citrus scent, smells like the sweetest, and the most delicious red apple on my skin. Very cheerful and uplifting, one of those feel-good, princess-like fragrances. Yummy! Limited edition too!

My latest collection "Ralph" by Ralph Lauren is a floral fruity fragrance for women. The sales lady at the counter claimed it's strawberry, but i thought it smells like green apple. After a couple of sniffing session with a few Ralph fragrances, D1nOnly1 concluded this is the best among them. I thought so too, unable to curb my shopaholic impulse nature, the rest is history. My verdict:- after an hour or so, it smells more-or-less how it should be - sparkling, attractive and delicate.

I'm also a die-hard fan of Gucci fragrances, "Rush 2" and "Envy Me" are my all-time favourites. My cousin bought me those 2 during his overseas trips. "Diamonds" by Emporio Armani was an encouragement gift from him when i was discharged from CGH last September.

Confession time: I have a major weakness for guys who wear proper scent. Catching a whiff of a man's cologne will make me go weak, that usually sums up my first impression of a man. Of course i have a few preferences when it comes to Cologne, most of the time it's those woody aromatic scent that attracts my attention. I'm not kidding when i say i would stop dead in my track whenever a desirable scent pass by me *sheepish grin*

"Polo Black" by Ralph Lauren is one of those. Definitely a fragrance designed for a modern, daring, masculine, and sophisticated man. Interesting enough to make me wanna know more about him.


"Boss Bottled" is also one of my top favourite fragrances by Hugo Boss, and this is one of the classics that has a great masculine character with it, fresh and sharp, refined and elegant.

I heard of this Chinese superstitious "Never to offer perfume as a gift, because the relationship will just fade eventually". Hmm, true?

(01/07/09) Update:- Received a gift from my client, was so embarrassed with her kind gesture. She has given me a bottle of perfume, it's Davidoff's fragrance for women "Cool Water Game". You will catch a sniff of a playful energy in that refreshing fruity scent. Previously a friend of mine also given me Cool Water for Women. So I'm not new to Davidoff fragrance. This is indeed a pleasant surprise to me, for customer servicing is all about giving, and rarely we see such appreciation from clients at all.




No comments:

Post a Comment