Sunday, July 15, 2012

In pain


During my hospitalisation previously, the doctors realised that I have some problem with swallowing.  After much observation, I was diagnosed with a small throat opening, and to make things worse, I have a very small mouth with big teeth, hence a misaligned jaw bite, resulting in me choking on my food most of the time.

Recently, my doctor brought up this issue again, as she is worried about me eventually having "Sleep Apnea" - a temporary suspension of breathing occurring repeatedly during sleeping due to small throat opening (http://www.wr-ent.com/6-throatCare.html).  Sure I can take small bites during eating or drinking, but she does not want my sleep quality to deteriorate as I grow old.

Met up with an Orthodontist last week.  Dr Henry Ho will be correcting my jawline, so that I can stop choking on my food.  He found my case very challenging, because of my tight-lips, while he was doing the photographing and teeth mould, I could not open my mouth big enough for the device and mould to go in.  The nurse was enlisted to put in the lip extension "spades", and stretched me at the corners of mouth.  Was in tears by the time the assessment were done, and Dr Ho jokingly said that my "Hello Kitty mouth is larger by one inch *dUh*

Dr Yeo kicked start my treatment yesterday, by removing one of my wisdom tooth, and extracted a few teeth to make space for the braces.  Chosen the IV sedation, was supposed to be in "twilight zone", but I landed up falling asleep for 1.5 hours, hmmm... as usual IV sedation always knocks me out.  Suspected that she used a clamp to widen my mouth for the extraction, because there are many scratches at the sides
of my mouth, blood clots on my bottom lips, and my whole mouth felt sore and numbed.

1st day













2nd day (look at the 2 needle holes!)

My right cheek now is all swollen, bruises and pain extended all the way to the neck area, all because of the extraction of the wisdom tooth.  The stitches are killing me, and I cannot open my mouth any bigger too.  Now it can only fit in a small metal teaspoon, and I am taking even smaller mouthful of food.  To complete my daily intake of nutrition, I am drinking my all-time favourite "Ensure" canned milk three times a day.

Stitches will be removed next Saturday, and will be starting my top braces first.  I can't wait for it to happen, although one thing is for sure, I will be having a swollen mouth again :(



No comments:

Post a Comment